Blinky

NEW MEMBERS PLEASE START HERE. Introduce yourself here and post a picture of your project as it is today and/or let us know some of your plans. Plus some community rules and other info for you.
Blinky

Blinky

Post by Blinky »

Hi all! I do not have my ambulance yet, but should have it within the next month. It's a 2009 F450 Horton with 53k miles. It was bought non-operational at auction by an ambulance company. They had planned to remount the box onto a new chassis, but when they got it, they decided it was too nice to take apart, so opted to fix and sell it instead. There have been some challenges, but I feel confident that when I get it, it will be a great vehicle. It has a new starter, two new alternators, good tires, a fresh alignment, new filters, and a full maintenance checkup. It's getting a replacement transmission tomorrow. I asked them to keep it a while and drive it a bunch to make sure it's ready for the trip to Oklahoma. They will be using it to commute to their other office 2-3 times a week, 150 miles round trip. I will probably not pick it up EOM due to other obligations.

Her name wil be Blinky, and she's beautiful! She already has three windows that open (with screens), a built-in refrigerator, and a 1500 watt inverter. I plan to do a simple conversion for now, and that gets me partway there. I bought a camping toilet, camping sink, gray water tank, and telescoping ladder already. I will use a camping pad and sleeping bag for now, but need to come up with a bed and some sort of plumbing pretty quickly so I can register her as an RV. I have two MaxxAir 7000K fans on order. My son will help me get it set up so I can actually use the refrigerator and run the fans. I also bought an Edge CTS3 monitor so I can keep an eye on the engine. 2009 was the tail end of the 6.0L engine, and most of the issues had already been addressed, but it seems like a good idea to monitor it closely just in case. I asked around and have a tip on the best diesel mechanic in town (bonus, he's Ford-certified) so I can keep her well maintained.

I don't plan on living in the vehicle full time, but eventually want to have it set up for that possibility... solar, lithium batteries, shower, etc. For now, I just want to be able to travel around without having to worry about where to stay, when I have to get home, and endless packing and unpacking. Of course, that still has to be done, but less of it.

Wish me luck! It has been a little crazy so far. :)

Blinky

Re: Blinky

Post by Blinky »

I brought Blinky home last week, over 600 miles. The trip was uneventful. The only issue I had (besides sticker shock at the diesel pump!) was that the cruise control cut out twice. I'll have to get that checked out.

I have removed the decals from the back, the sticker from the front, and one of the stainless steel plates that held the ambulance number at the fire department. I still need to do the sides. I am leaving the stripes for now.

Thank you to David, the Campulance Man, for telling me how to get to the inside tire stem. I have my new tire pressure gauge now, and one of today's tasks is to check the pressures and inflate them. I have been cleaning the interior bit by bit. Tomorrow I'll see if a locksmith can help me with a key to the exterior compartments. They appear to also have automatic locks, but I haven't yet located the switch for that.

It's going to take me months to learn how this thing works! Adventure!

GeneticMaker

Re: Blinky

Post by GeneticMaker »

Thanks for the update and keep them coming (with pics). I know it's slow around here, but all good things take time.