My RedCross ERV Build.

Van shaped ambulances or box ambulances with van fronts. Aka, Type II & III ambos.
SunsetAmbo

Re: My RedCross ERV Build.

Post by SunsetAmbo »

Now I have started to tear the box apart inside,
IMG_0176.JPG
IMG_0176.JPG (240.15 KiB) Viewed 637 times
IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG (257.67 KiB) Viewed 637 times
Have ordered some opening windows to replace the fixed glass ones, Skylight, awning, Max fans have arrived already.
Also ordered a door for the side of the box, currently there is no side door.
Now designing a roof rack & interior of the box.

Will keep you posted as it comes along.

GeneticMaker

Post by GeneticMaker »

fantastic pics and info. Please keep it coming! Questions:

Are you doing an RV interior or more of a utilitarian look?

Are you keeping the mounting track on the walls?

SunsetAmbo

Post by SunsetAmbo »

Thanks.. On the inside I'm planning on making it as comfortable and functional as I can, as the wife &I do plan on extensive time traveling, and we like our creature comforts.
As for the outside, it will probably lean towards utilitarian/overland, I will look into 4x4 when the interior is done.. if there is any money left for a 4x4 conversion.
As for the mounting track.. that is gone for now but I may reuse some of it for the cargo area at the rear, depending how my designs come out,
And also I may use some of it for hanging items on the exterior of the rear doors should I need.
Last edited by SunsetAmbo on Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aleman4you

Post by Aleman4you »

Hello.
I'm new to this.
I'm also in Florida.
Looking to buy an ambulance and go touring this summer.
Ty
For info.

SunsetAmbo

Post by SunsetAmbo »

Aleman4you wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:22 pm
Hello.
I'm new to this.
I'm also in Florida.
Looking to buy an ambulance and go touring this summer.
Ty
For info.
Hi. Welcome to the group, Keep up the search for your rig, It's a great feeling when it arrives and you can get started on your build.
Good luck.. Don't forget to do a build thread on here.

SunsetAmbo

Post by SunsetAmbo »

Been a while since I have been able to spend time on the build..Or should i say rip out!

Back on it now...Next out is this base unit & then somehow get this electrical panel out of this wall unit with out removing all the cables..
The base unit is actually a half split!.. On the inside it's shelving, behind that is the box that is an external cupboard currently housing the spare wheel.
IMG_5085.JPG
IMG_5085.JPG (196.36 KiB) Viewed 337 times
It came out fairly easy, exposing the electric panel & the AC unit which was mounted to ceiling behind the electric panel, Of which I unbolted and placed on the floor for now to get the last ceiling panel down.
In the end after much deliberation I decided to cut off the external box also as it was in the way for my build plan.
IMG_0316.JPG
IMG_0316.JPG (283.49 KiB) Viewed 336 times
That completes the rip out!!
I'm keeping the wall panels between the cab & the box as I intend to build a heavy duty door dividing the box from the cab for security mainly.. Knowing ford locks! Someone might get in the cab but Hopefully wont get through the door to the back by the time I'm done with it) Also it will help to keep the box warm or cool at night if I can shut the cab off.
Last edited by SunsetAmbo on Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SunsetAmbo

Post by SunsetAmbo »

Now I have a blank canvas..
IMG_0342.JPG
IMG_0342.JPG (338.48 KiB) Viewed 333 times
Attachments
IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG (311.41 KiB) Viewed 333 times
IMG_0341.JPG
IMG_0341.JPG (333.69 KiB) Viewed 333 times

SunsetAmbo

Post by SunsetAmbo »

As you can see from the photos above, Much of the wiring loom is woven between the box frame and the outer walls, I'd really like to be able to insulate as much of the walls and ceiling as physically possible.. These cables are going to make that difficult. Plus I would also like to keep the cables accessible for any repairs/alterations & additions needed later on. Therefore did not want to bury them in the walls again.

I also wanted to remove all the cables and circuits that I don't need or had just been cut before I got the van. So off came all the cable protector sleeves, First I removed all the dead stuff, Then the few circuits I'm deleting,
Then finally one cable at a time I re-routed the cables to be free of the box & put it back on the board where it came from.

I do intend to create a cable/services tray around the top where walls meet ceiling. these cables can go in it, Along with new services I'm going to add. So for now they are just hanging on zip ties so the insulation can be done.
IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0349.JPG (284.76 KiB) Viewed 330 times
Way less cables now.
IMG_0358.JPG
IMG_0358.JPG (332.74 KiB) Viewed 330 times
Looks like a rats nest now.. but will all fall into place during the build.
IMG_0357.JPG
IMG_0357.JPG (322.23 KiB) Viewed 330 times

SunsetAmbo

Post by SunsetAmbo »

In quite a lot of areas the wall & ceiling outer skin is separating from the box frame.
IMG_0303_LI.jpg
IMG_0303_LI.jpg (247.32 KiB) Viewed 326 times
Can't have the walls falling off now can we!

Out with the Silkaflex.. squirted it between the roof panel and box beams, Then placed concrete blocks on the roof to pin it down good.
Let that dry for few days and then ran a bead of silkaflex along every edge of every beam to help hold it down..
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG (200.78 KiB) Viewed 326 times
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG (296.05 KiB) Viewed 326 times
All worked great & Florida hot sun has not made it pop back up yet.

Still got the walls do same way. But for now I want to get on with fitting the max fans and skylight then get the ceiling insulated.

SunsetAmbo

Post by SunsetAmbo »

Been doing a little more shopping and got all new led light fittings for the exterior. Couple of light bars for the front. Some mini light bars to replace the back and side scene lights.

The max fans came little while ago, as did the skylight hatch & the new door for the side.
_MG_1112.JPG
_MG_1112.JPG (211.54 KiB) Viewed 325 times
IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0266.JPG (184.4 KiB) Viewed 325 times

Can't find a way to rotate pictures in portrait mode!
IMG_5240.JPG
IMG_5240.JPG (234.56 KiB) Viewed 325 times