Bungie's

Van shaped ambulances or box ambulances with van fronts. Aka, Type II & III ambos.
Bungie4

Bungie's

Post by Bungie4 »

Haven't started the actual build yet as we still have close to 2' of snow on the ground but i did manage pick up a 4 burner stove with oven out of a scraped trailer. Everything works and it fires right up. A little scrubbing with a Mr Clean pad got it passed my wife's inspection.
Saved close to a $1000 over buying one new.

SWMBO also mentioned the need for a microwave. Something that didn't even cross my mind. I managed to pick up a 700 watt, .7cuft one from Walmart today for 58 bucks.

Tomorrow, with a little luck i can pick up some plywood to start the bed. Word has it that theirs a lumber shortage because of covid.
IMG_20210303_151723.jpg
IMG_20210303_151723.jpg (49.86 KiB) Viewed 9324 times

GeneticMaker

Re: Bungie's

Post by GeneticMaker »

looking forward to updates!

Share some pics of how it looks now too.

Bungie4

Post by Bungie4 »

It's tough to find lumber. I finally found some 3/4 inch maple and picked up 5 sheets.

Interesting note; with the attendant seat in, you can lay a 4x8 sheet flat. But only just. I had to lift one end a couple of inches to clear the stretcher 'trippers' by the back door. Temps are supposed to warm up over the next week, maybe I'll actually be able to started.

GeneticMaker

Post by GeneticMaker »

How much was it per sheet? I assume 4x8 sheets?

Now that you've bought your maple, did you consider Baltic Birch Ply? That's what I'm using.

Bungie4

Post by Bungie4 »

GeneticMaker wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:13 pm
How much was it per sheet? I assume 4x8 sheets?

Now that you've bought your maple, did you consider Baltic Birch Ply? That's what I'm using.
$71ea. 4x8

No Baltic, no birch, no oak but they had some G1S spruce construction grade and some OSB

Bungie4

Post by Bungie4 »

Just a little update. I still haven't started. Housing prices have spiked (at least, it appears that way) so I'm in process of selling my house. Throw a couple of weeks for moving and i should be able to get started by May. I plan on being semi-retired and on the road by July.

Bungie4

Post by Bungie4 »

House is sold and closes on 2 weeks. I've sold all my furniture and lots of crap. It's pretty echoey in here. I'll finally be able to get started on the ambo. One major life changing event at a time!

The ambo has been really handy during the move. Huge covered area to move stuff with! Lockdowns and travel restrictions won't have that much affect on me. I'm good with staying in northern Ontario for the summer.

Bungie4

Post by Bungie4 »

Demo on ambo has begun. Flip down bench seat and seatbelts out, flip down seat and seatbelts on pantry out. Radio box cover behind the driver seat out. Shoulder and head padding removed from behind all seats. Stair lift holder in the footwell removed. Garbage and sharps container removed. Stretcher rails removed. Attendant chair removed. Security mount and inverter removed for toughbook on doghouse removed.

Stretcher plates and vinyl flooring need to be removed, then building can begin. The attendant seat and stretcher rail mounts came out with little fight. Air tools and torches.

"Can't be tight if it's a liquid"

I removed the battery access panel in the footwell and gave the area a good eyeball for a shower. Besides moving the battery, this looks exceptionally easy in the crestline. I can use the existing sealed pan as a shower pan.

Last edited by Bungie4 on Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bungie4

Post by Bungie4 »

Water system parts are arriving. I got in my 30 gallon water tank from icon direct from Manitoba. Easy shipping and good prices, recommended.

They manufacture some great bits including roof top mounted spoilers.

I also ordered a Maxx air. Lots of things seem to be in sorry supply on Amazon. I ended up purchasing from wilderness vans in Lethbridge. Check out is a little odd in that you require a shipping quote while checking out. I ended up calling them and spoke to Matt. Easy dealing with them. In stock and good prices. Again recommended.

Bungie4

Post by Bungie4 »

Murphy bed construction is underway. I used 9" turntable bearings from princess auto. Their rated at 750lbs each.
The large holes are to access the screws into the outer frame.
Bed is a double with a couple of inches lost in length.