My RedCross ERV Build.

Van shaped ambulances or box ambulances with van fronts. Aka, Type II & III ambos.
GeneticMaker

Re: My RedCross ERV Build.

Post by GeneticMaker »

As admin, I wanted to thank you very much for creating and updating your build thread. Please keep it going!!! Great info and great pics.

I'm still learning how to run the forum and when I figure out how to rotate pics, I'll share the details.

SunsetAmbo

Post by SunsetAmbo »

GeneticMaker wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:53 pm
As admin, I wanted to thank you very much for creating and updating your build thread. Please keep it going!!! Great info and great pics.

I'm still learning how to run the forum and when I figure out how to rotate pics, I'll share the details.
Hi Gene (Admin), My pleasure, Thanks for taking the time out to stop by, Also a Big thanks to you for keeping this site up and running, I know it takes a lot of work & I appreciate your time in giving us this space to detail our builds... Hope more peeps get the time to bring there builds here also.

shudgins

Post by shudgins »

Hello and thank you so much for posting your build process. I am working on obtaining an ERV hopefully in the very near future so this is very helpful in seeing what all is there and the possibilities. My I ask what kind of door that is you are mounting on the side and how you went about finding it/obtaining it? Have you had a chance to install it yet?

SunsetAmbo

Post by SunsetAmbo »

shudgins wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:06 am
Hello and thank you so much for posting your build process. I am working on obtaining an ERV hopefully in the very near future so this is very helpful in seeing what all is there and the possibilities. My I ask what kind of door that is you are mounting on the side and how you went about finding it/obtaining it? Have you had a chance to install it yet?
Hi, not had chance to fit the door as yet due to many other things going on also... but the door I purchased from company called Tern Overland.
The door is well made & feels solid. It also has a slide across bug screen built in the door frame plus a pull down window blind fitted for the small window that is built in the door.

I’m going to be removing the large side window on the van and installing it in that spot, the existing window is wider than the door so I will have a little fab work to fit it all in.. going to be a fun job for sure.

I will post photos etc when I do install it..
Good luck in your search for your ERV.. I know they seem to be well sought after these days.
Last edited by SunsetAmbo on Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

SunsetAmbo

Post by SunsetAmbo »

So..... After many months & couple of years since anything was done on this build... all due to us purchasing a house that needed a full remodel throughout which had to take priority & other things in life keeping me away from this build as they do... nothing has been done!!

That was until beginning of this year when I was able to finally concentrate on this again.. although I had been pretty good about running the engine regularly and moving it around etc all this time... just not driven it anywhere as it's not registered yet..

Jan 1st was the day I decided it's ambo time again.
I went out took a long hard look all over and under the van and very quickly realized that due to it sitting for so long and being out in the open to the elements all this time, this was now going to be way more than just a build out in the rear if I wanted this to look good & be reliable as can be... It was time to go through this truck front to back & show it some love.

So up went the front end on Jack stands & I made a start taking things apart... A lot of things apart.. then some more things apart & have been working on this full time for the most part since then...

So here we go.
I purchased one these tent things from shelter logic to cover the van & give me some cover from the hot Florida sun & to protect the van from the elements moving forward.. Best thing i did such a game changer compared to doing all this out in the open.
IMG_0705.JPG
IMG_0705.JPG (251.49 KiB) Viewed 942 times
IMG_0264.JPG
IMG_0264.JPG (139.1 KiB) Viewed 942 times
Can clearly see age is showing itself.
IMG_0291.JPG
IMG_0291.JPG (179 KiB) Viewed 942 times

That's all the running gear removed from the front, all getting surface rust removed, painted, new bushes,and then the frame is getting painted & everything is being refitted with new shocks, new brake lines hard and Soft. I replicated every hard brake line in the truck and replaced them all as some of the hard lines were corroding. painted the original calipers but then found they were just not working correctly, and almost seized so I ended up replacing all the calipers. Rotors and pads were in good shape with lots of life left so the got cleaned up and put back on.
Last edited by SunsetAmbo on Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:35 am, edited 7 times in total.

SunsetAmbo

Post by SunsetAmbo »

While climbing around under the truck looking at the engine, it was clear I had some oil leaks that will need to be addressed. So off came the dog house and time to take more things apart.. out came the turbo, turbo pedestal & the intake pipes along with the rubber connectors
The intake rubbers were leaking and so was the crankcase vent...
IMG_0376.JPG
IMG_0376.JPG (117.92 KiB) Viewed 940 times
IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG (209.58 KiB) Viewed 940 times
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0362.JPG (148.23 KiB) Viewed 940 times
Last edited by SunsetAmbo on Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SunsetAmbo

Post by SunsetAmbo »

As you can see the valley was pretty messy.
.. So at this point I used degreaser cleaned the valley, the two sides & the bottom of the engine.
IMG_0397.JPG
IMG_0397.JPG (187.23 KiB) Viewed 938 times
IMG_1004.JPG
IMG_1004.JPG (238.81 KiB) Viewed 938 times

SunsetAmbo

Post by SunsetAmbo »

Time to put all the top back together after the new o-rings, intake rubbers, arrived, I ordered these parts from Riffraff they sell inserts for the plenums which are great as it enables you to use more heavy duty clamps on these rubbers to get a better seal and not crush the plenums.
IMG_1010.JPG
IMG_1010.JPG (232.57 KiB) Viewed 936 times
IMG_1016.JPG
IMG_1016.JPG (220.31 KiB) Viewed 936 times

SunsetAmbo

Post by SunsetAmbo »

Moving into the front of the engine.. I did say I took a lot of things apart..
As you can see, the engine, the brake master cylinder, the heater matrix are the only things left in place, everything else is out, that's the fuse panel and wiring loom laying on the windshield.

Notice the frame is now rust free..
I did that with a wire brush on a grinder and a smaller one in a drill for the areas with limited access.

May as well say welcome to the new paint color.. pretty sure you wont of missed it :)
IMG_0998.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG (217.88 KiB) Viewed 932 times
IMG_0996.JPG
IMG_0996.JPG (190.57 KiB) Viewed 932 times
IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_1001.JPG (142.27 KiB) Viewed 932 times

SunsetAmbo

Post by SunsetAmbo »

Next was paint the frame.. I'm doing this in sections, front with all the engine work, middle, then the rear and rear axle later.
But for now concentrating on getting the engine bay back together and get the truck running again.
IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG (224 KiB) Viewed 922 times
IMG_1048.JPG
IMG_1048.JPG (197.44 KiB) Viewed 922 times
IMG_1050.JPG
IMG_1050.JPG (171.79 KiB) Viewed 922 times