Panic Time?

For all diesel engines, transmissions, and related underhood systems
EmergingC

Panic Time?

Post by EmergingC »

While working to get wiring sorted out in my dash, we discovered that the headlight switch was bad, and while replacing it with the dash out, the ignition switch had numerous wires attached, and a couple of them came loose (simple spade connectors) which we of course pushed back on. Well, after getting things tidied up a bit, when we restarted the engine, there was a faint knocking sound under the hood which I hadn't heard before, but nothing earth shaking - but we opened the hood just to see what was going on - and we found this...
EmergingC Fuel Solenoid Smoke pic.jpg
EmergingC Fuel Solenoid Smoke pic.jpg (69.51 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
. Panic Time? We shut the engine down, took a couple days research, and discovered that one of the wires on the ignition switch was on the wrong spade, and was supposed to only open the solenoid during the start momentarily, and then close once you let loose of the starter switch. If you had it on the wrong spade connector, it caused the solenoid to be open feeding fuel and caused the smoke. Problem solved, just one of those things that we learn on this journey. Fortunately I had a "connection" from Facebook to call that's a diesel mechanic converting his own ambulance, and he explained what might be happening, and helped us spend the time and effort doing research, where we found a YouTube video that helped lead us to the solution. Friends, and the internet - can sure be helpful.
Attachments
EmergingC Ignition Switch back.jpeg
EmergingC Ignition Switch back.jpeg (113.37 KiB) Viewed 1200 times